Is Mick Byrne the r...

Notifications
Clear all

Is Mick Byrne the right choice as the Fiji Drua head coach?

Hany
 Hany
(@hany)
Junior
Topic starter  

If you look at Mick Byrne's coaching credentials all trophies which he has achieved has been as an Assistant/skills coach. None of them have been under his reign as a head coach.
In addition to this in the last 5 years the only head coaching role he was involved was with the Canadian women's 7s team and a MLR club in USA.
I am 100% sure none of the Fijian fans had his name in their minds at all and his name appeared from a magicians stick waved by the FRU.
Was his selection based on $ over the more qualified and reputed $$$$$$ coaches or was it due to the Influence of the newly appointed Drua CEO who too is questionable.
My main concern is the Drua should not end up as the wooden spoonist at the end of the Super Rugby tournament next year.

This topic was modified 2 months ago by Hany

Josh Sevu
(@admin)
Member Admin

I understand peoples frustrations and like you I don't know the process for finding the coach but to be fair I think he needs to be given a chance. The FRU have worked extremely hard to get to this point so to come this far I'm sure they have hired someone they have their complete faith in.

I don't know Byrne or anyone at the FRU but people in Rugby that know Byrne say he's a very good coach and he thinks outside the box.

ReplyQuote
Hany
 Hany
(@hany)
Junior
Topic starter  

Yes, all we can do now is rally around the team and support them. It will be a tough tournament since it is the maiden voyage for the team in the toughest tournament.                                 The Drua team will be the dark horse based on the experience of the players and hope they will surprise everyone as they did in 2018 by winning the Australian NRC.

ReplyQuote
Josh Sevu
(@admin)
Member Admin

@hany The team is starting to look really good. Definitely think they will surprise in the first season.

ReplyQuote
Hany
 Hany
(@hany)
Junior
Topic starter  

I also like to highlight 2 vital positions which none of our players are currently playing week in week out constantly for their clubs which are the pivotal fly half and scrum half positions.
Nicola Matawalu and Frank Lomani both played for their respective franchises on the wing and the latter once again played  over the weekend for Northampton. The same with the fly half position as the only player to have played some games is Ben Volavola. This is a wonderful opportunity for the Fijian Drua to develop players for these 2 vital positions so it will help the Flying Fijians tremendously in the future as getting 2 players from the same franchise will be an added advantage as they will have a much better understanding. I hope there will be additional players in the Drua squad for these 2 positions as these are the 2 weakest positions when it comes to overseas exposure.

Josh Sevu liked
ReplyQuote
Share: